Thursday, June 21, 2007

Settling in

It seems much longer than a week here in Kabul - maybe because each day I am introduced to so many people and so much information.

The routine at Kabul University is morning classes, lunch and then the halls are mostly quiet until 'night' classes which last from 4-6. This leaves professors with time to chat about how things work in their department, and also with time to help get acquainted with some of the unused resources available for use. The library has many good, donated books in English, but they are not organized or cataloged, and there is no plan in the works to do this, so a couple staff will help get this process started. Making these resources more accessible is a first step.


Each bazaar has its own feel and it's own set of specialty merchandise. For the cheapest mobile phones, I was led to Kotai-Sangi, just down the road from the University. Centered on a round-about, it is a sprawling market seething with hawkers and shoppers. It was so jammed (cars, bicycles and people fight for every inch in the round-about) that it was hard to get a decent photo of the place.

I continue to get to know my neighborhood. There are perpetual soccer matches in the streets. The one in the photo is a block from my guesthouse, and I stopped for a moment to watch. Out of a doorway next to me must be the sister of the one of the players who was completely absorbed in the match.
I was invited on a field trip with the department of natural resources to see a sanctuary for migratory birds outside of town, so I'll have news of this trip next time I post.


No comments: